Come Fall my closet is in dire need of a good clean out! This is the perfect time to change out Summer clothes to Fall & Winter and give my closet the attention it needs.
Here is how I organized my closet in 10 easy steps.
- Take every single thing out.
- When choosing clothes to keep, ask yourself a few important questions:
- Does it still fit?
- Have I worn it in the last 12 months?
- Will I wear it again?
- Is it damaged?
- If I saw it in the store today, would I purchase it?
- Do I like the way it looks on me?
- Hang the items you want to keep in your closet neatly so you can see everything at a glance. Categorize tops, skirts, dresses, pants. I like to put my categories in color order.
- Use the backwards hanger strategy when putting clothes back into your closet to get a good idea of the pieces you actually wear often.
- To keep everything looking super organized, get new hangers so that everything looks uniform. I got mine at IKEA (Bumerang Hangers pack of 8 for $5.49)
- Fold heavier clothes like sweaters and loose knits that may lose their shape on a hanger.
- Assess your reject pile and decide which items can be sold, donated, or tossed
- Use dividers to keep your drawers organized.
- Style your closet with wearable items, prints, a fun pin board
- Maximize shelf space by using shelf dividers.