Spring has sprung! Unfortunately, it’s the time of the year when those pesky mosquitoes start showing up for a bite!
With outdoor sports, activities, and travel on the horizon we become magnets for mosquitoes. Not only do mosquito bites become a nuisance, you are also risking yourself and your family of being exposed to diseases such as Zika and Lyme disease if you do not protect yourself.
The Environmental Protection Agency and World Health Organization recommend DEET- and picaridin-based sprays as the most effective. However, these sprays are pesticides that can cause skin irritations and allergic reactions. I don’t know about you, but, I am not fond of exposing my family to chemicals that could harm when used on a regular basis.
This is when natural bug repellents stand out among the rest. Non-toxic, plant-based products repel bugs naturally, and even smell a little more pleasant.
Here are 15 natural mosquito repellents and products that will keep you from itching this Spring & Summer.
- Para’Kito Mosquito Repellent Sport Edition Wristband: This wristband uses DEET-free, refillable pellets that provide constant protection for up to 15 days per pellet. Amazon $19.98
- Comfort R Repellent Bracelets: Bug Repellent Bracelets, Individually-Wrapped Wrist Bands (6 Pack), Plus 6 Bonus Patches – Natural Ingredients, Deet-Free, Kid/Pet-Safe. Amazon $15.95
- Bug Bam! Insect Repellent Wristbands: MADE IN THE USA. No liquids, No DEET, No Mess, No Fuss! Award Winning.All Bug Bam products use 100% natural, food-grade ingredients and materials (set of 10). Amazon $26.99
- Badger Anti-bug Shake & Spray: Our personal favorite for the soccer field! Good For the Skin. Bad for the Bug. Badger’s Anti-Bug Shake & Spray is a totally organic & natural bug spray repellent. Amazon $9.85
- Badger Balm Anti-Bug Sunscreen: Our second personal favorite for the soccer field. The Badger SPF 30 Sunscreen and Anti-Bug Combo is water resistant for up to 40 minutes and safe for children of all ages! This dual-use product contains a deet-free non-toxic bug repellent that works! 100% natural formula is chemical free. Amazon $16.03
- doTERRA – TerraShield Essential Oil Outdoor Blend: Among these are essential oils which provide a vapor barrier for plants, protecting them from potential threats in their environment. For Diffusion or Topical Use – 15 mL Amazon $14.00
doTERRA TerraShield Spray Amazon $26.00
- REPEL Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent: Made with oil of lemon and eucalyptus. This DEET-free insect repellent provides protection during adventures in the backyard and on the go. Amazon $5.66
- California Baby Bug Repellent Spray: California Baby’s Natural Bug Repellent Spray is a baby-safe, natural alternative to toxic DEET. The DEET-free formula features citronella, lemongrass and cedar pure essential oils. T Amazon $16.79
- Babyganics Natural DEET-Free Insect Repellent: Gentle plant-based ingredients that are safe to use on your baby with no chemical residue
Made with 100% natural essential oils—Citronella, Peppermint, Rosemary, Lemongrass & Geranium. Amazon $17.06 (pack of 2)
- Babyganics Personal Insect Repellent Wipes: Convenient wipes, for on the go use. No: parabens, sulfates, phthalates, artificial fragrances or dyes Made with essential oils-Citronella, Peppermint, Rosemary, Lemongrass & Geranium Plant and essential oils help keep mosquitoes away. Amazon $ 19.58 (30 count)
- Murphy’s Naturals Mosquito Repellent Tea Light Candles: 5% essential oil content is really a big deal in differentiating our Mosquito Tea Light Candles from other repellent candle brands. 12 Tea Light Candles per box. Each Candle Burns Up To 4 hours. Amazon $12.00
- Murphy’s Mosquito Incense Sticks: Murphy’s Mosquito Sticks are an all natural plant based insect repellent, containing three different repellent essential oils: citronella, lemongrass, and Rosemary. Amazon $11.95
- Simba Natural Mosquito Repellent Sticker (16pcs) with Citronella and Lemon Extract: Simba All Natural Mosquito Repellent Stickers are the most convenient solution for moms and dads in protecting their kids from nasty mosquito bites. Amazon $18.98
15. Essential Oil Bug Spray Recipe
This is one of the best bug spray recipes I’ve tried. This recipe uses essential oils, which are highly effective for natural bug protection. This recipe is best when used on clothing and gear instead of directly on the skin, especially on children.
Homemade Bug Spray Ingredients
- 30 drops geranium essential oil
- 30 drops citronella essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 TBSP rubbing alcohol
- ½ cup natural witch hazel
- ½ cup water (or vinegar)
- 1 tsp Fractionated Coconut oil(optional)
Homemade Bug Spray Instructions
- Place essential oils in a glass spray bottle. Add alcohol and shake well to combine.
- Pour in witch hazel and shake to combine.
- Add ½ tsp fractionated coconut oil
- Add water and shake again. Shake well before each use.
Murphy’s Naturals Mosquito Tea Light Candles
16 or 20 ounce mason jars (or really, whatever size mason jars you have – they’ll pretty much all work)
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime a few sprigs of rosemary
- essential oil list & drop quantities from above bug spray recipe
- floating candles or tea lights with the metal casing removed
Bonus: If you do get a mosquito bite, stop the itching with lavender essential oil. Place a a little dab on the bite when you feel the need to itch and voila!