The smells and sounds of life on Lake Tahoe are a huge part of my childhood summer memories. As Northern California born and raised, my Summers were spent at Lake Tahoe at our family cabin in Carnelian Bay. I spent my days at the pier fishing for crawdads, swimming in the cool water, and eating ice cream sandwiches from the snack shack at the pool.
Now as an adult with a nine year old daughter, I want her to experience the magic of Lake Tahoe and create new family memories. We now head to Incline Village/Crystal Bay where families play at the beaches, and boats bob on buoys. Summer traffic is still slow on State 89, but from Incline Village to West Shore, we always find our happiness and majestic Tahoe beauty.
10 Reasons We Love Lake Tahoe
- Incline Beach: A valid Beach Access IVGID Recreation Pass, daily beach pass or a Recreation Punch Card is needed and is reserved for local property owners and their family members.
- Sand Harbor: The best swimming, SUP-ing, boulder jumping, and picnicing
- Lake Tahoe Beaches map
Hiking and Local History:
- Tahoe Meadows Interpretive Loop: A 1.3 mile loop trail located near Washoe Valley, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and stunning views.
- Tour Thunderbird Lake Tahoe: Docent-guided tours reveal the legacy of George Whittell Jr., the tycoon who purchased and protected nearly 45,000 acres of Lake Tahoe’s east shore. Discover the history of the Lighthouse Room, Old Lodge, the servant’s quarters with original kitchen, as well as the 600’ underground tunnel leading to the cavernous boathouse. We were lucky enough to get a glimpse of the legendary wooden speedboat, Thunderbird, built for Whittell in 1939 and powered by twin Allison engines from vintage WWII fighter aircraft.
Craft Beer, Lobster Sliders, & Views
- Alibi Ale Works: Relax at the new Incline Village Tap House, restaurant, and beer garden. Maintaining a beer line-up of traditional European styles, super-fresh hoppy beers, and experimental brews, Alibi will expand your beer horizons.
- Bite American Tapas: Located in North Lake Tahoe at 907 Tahoe Blvd, Incline Village, NV. Bite serves up super creative cuisine and the best lobster sliders!
- Lone Eagle Grille: Set against the spectacular backdrop of Lake Tahoe and a private beach, this is the perfect place for sunset cocktails and live music! They offer a super kids menu too!
- Pier 111 Bar at the Hyatt Regency: This bar literally floats 300ft out into Lake Tahoe. This crowd favorite is a great place to dock the boat and grab a Lakeside Lemonade and enjoy the view.
Hang with the locals on West Shore
- Chambers Landing Bar and Restaurant: Chamber’s Landing is a famous lakefront bar and grill that stands as a landmark for generations of tourists and community members along the West shore of Lake Tahoe. Arrive by boat and order a Chambers Punch. Word of warning…they do pack a Punch!
- The deck at Sunnyside Resort: Generations of lakeside magic make Sunnyside the place to be. A true party scene and serves the best Hula Pie this side of Hawaii!
Have a great Tahoe memory? Please share…we’d love to hear from you!